Sunday, March 27, 2011

Vital Signs: State GOP health bills mirror model ALEC legislation

Vital Signs: State GOP health bills mirror model ALEC legislation
"All the fuss this week over ALEC, a right-wing organization said to be the mastermind behind a nationwide wave of conservative proposals and laws, inspired me to look into whether the group has anything to do with a spate of recent health legislation from Gov. Scott Walker and Republican lawmakers.

My first step was to consult an online "study guide" about the shadowy American Legislative Exchange Council written by UW-Madison history professor William Cronon. (When I first wrote this post I had a working link to ALEC but the organization seems to have blocked access in the last 24 hours.) The state GOP has filed an open records request seeking access to Cronon's e-mails, and I was curious to see what they were upset about."